Infrastructure & Environment Design (Annotation)
MSc Urbanism/ Architecture/ Landscape Architecture tracks
With urgent urban challenges such as climate adaptation, energy transition, and continued urbanisation, the urgency of integrating planning and design with urban engineering increases. The implementation of new technological interventions and the utilisation of the natural system is hampered by the lack of an integrated approach incorporating urban planning and design decisions. Meanwhile, urban and economic growth increasingly competes for infrastructure and environment, affecting the success or failure of the daily operating systems of cities and thereby urban competitiveness. The challenge is to fundamentally re-think the urban landscape in light of new technologies. The question is how to renew existing cities by integrating the parameters of the natural system, as well as technological innovations directly into urban development opportunities arising from spatial planning and design.
In order to stimulate and design the synergy between design and engineering this course offers the possibility for architects, urban designers and landscape architects to get well acquainted with the concepts and language of civil engineers on the subject of infrastructure and environment; at the same time the civil engineers will get acquainted with the world and language of designers.
In order to create an emerging path where synergy between the disciplines makes sure that technology becomes embedded in the design process, this course offers possibilities for both urban designers and civil engineers to get well acquainted with each other’s discipline. This is achieved by collaborating with the course Technology and Practice Water Management in Urban Areas at (CT5510) that elaborates on the technology of building site preparation and will show the collaborative worlds of soil and water.
The goal of this course is that students will be able to:
- Formulate their design perspective that is based in a conceptual or theoretical framework.
- Identify and discuss the synergy between natural conditions and technological potential and possibilities in urban environments.
- Analyse and design infrastructures on a regional scale and on the scale of the section.
- Identify and discuss the tension between public and private development in infrastructures and environments.
- Apply methods concerning the appraisal of sustainable urban environments and infrastructure.
- Demonstrate in a design the connection between the natural system and technical possibilities in urban environments.
- Be able to translate analyses into design and the design into a formal plan.
- Perform inter-disciplinary working.